Following our discussions at the Town Hall in September, the executive has been drafting a model “Code of Conduct” for our members. We’re pleased to be able to share a draft so that everyone has an opportunity to review, comment and suggest changes.
We will leave the draft here for 30 days (Until February 11). All comments welcome and we may post updated versions as suggestions come in. If you have any thoughts, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the end of the season in June, a business meeting we will be voting on formally adopting the code of conduct into the club’s constitution.
Code of Conduct (DRAFT)
The objectives of The Sid Lorraine Hat and Rabbit Club Ring 17 of The International Brotherhood of Magicians (hereafter referred to as “the Club”) are to promote good fellowship among the members and to encourage and promote a high standard of presentation of the Art of Magic.
The intention of this document is to establish clear and acceptable behaviour expectations for the members and guests of the club. It is intended to set the tone for behaviour by members and prospective members. It is not intended to restrict the rights of anyone but rather to ensure that all members and guests can expect to be treated with respect while participating in the club and engaging with members.
The club deems that upon payment of membership or lecture fees, or attendance at a club sponsored event, all members and guests have given their consent to abide by both the re- strictions and penalties imposed by this code of conduct.
A. All members and guests will strive to:
- Be an ambassador for the club, and the broader Toronto Magic community when out in the community or at other clubs, conventions, meetings or other gatherings of magicians,
- Conduct themselves in a manner that celebrates and champions the art of magic, the club, and its members member or guests,
- Conduct themselves in polite, respectful manner,
- Respect the intellectual property of magicians in the marketplace and community
- Not expose or otherwise communicate the “secrets” of magic to non magicians,
- Maintain a high standard of business ethics in their relationships with other magicians and the broader magic community.
B. All members and guests will:
- Conduct themselves in a manner respectful of the rights of other members or guests and will not verbally or physically harass, insult, threaten, bully, slander or otherwise disrespect members, guests or lecturers either personally, through social media, or in any other form
- Not engage in any form of sexual, racial, or religious discrimination or harassment nor use abusive or vulgar language, or make religious, racial, ethnic or gender-related slurs or derogatory comments at club events,
- Not make unwanted sexual or physical contact with other members or guests
- Not take actions that would disrupt a club meeting or event.
- Report any inappropriate behaviour of a member to the Board for action and follow up.
C. Resolution of violations to the Club Code of Conduct
Resolution of violations or complaints under the Club Code of Conduct will follow a progressive process.
An attempt should be made to resolve a code related issue immediately in an informal manner under the supervision of a board member. Any member or guest not behaving in accordance with the terms of the Code of Conduct at an event of the Club may be asked to leave the function.
If no resolution can be found informally, and if all parties agree, the board may pursue resolution through a mediated conflict resolution or alternative dispute resolution.
Should a violation of this Code of Conduct take place, either by witness or complaint, and it has not been resolved informally, or through alternative actions, it will be put on the agenda of the next Board of Directors meeting, where board members will gather information and evidence to determine if and how the matter will be resolved.
- The Board of Directors shall offer the member an opportunity of a hearing.
- The Board of Directors will determine the veracity of the complaint, if a penalty should be imposed and the extent of any penalty which may include:
- a letter of reprimand
- time specific suspension of select club privileges (including any or all of: inclusion on clubsocial media platforms, attendance at meetings, lectures and club events, newsletters,performance opportunities)
- time specific membership suspension
- membership termination
- other resolution as may be determined by the board
Last edited: January 11, 2020